Stuff-Ups …. but only little ones.
Rag Dolls, Book 1
The book which has taken a week to put together is now together.
In one piece.
Click here to see more details of my other life as a rag doll maker.
The cover will have a title added, probably fabric letters fused on, or a scrap of fabric with the title added with a permanent marker.
(Thinking about it, the letters would have to be cut very small to be fused on!)
Many pages will have addition information, photos of dolls and some trims added now the book is together.
I might even break out the coloured pencils … maybe even the water-colour pencils!
I realize now I should have taken photos of a lot of dolls before I removed their stuffing to use them in this and a lot of other books recording all my rag dolls.
If you would like to see all the pages of the book keep going!
Here is the table of contents
In 2010 I decided that I wasn’t going to make any more rag dolls … not quite game to say never, but probably not. I will certainly not get back to making them in bulk for sale at craft fairs, quilt exhibitions, and through craft shops.
I stopped making them when we moved halfway across the state and lost access to convenient outlets, but I didn’t know what was at the other end of the shift at the time so didn’t dispose of excess baggage before and during the move.
As I used to make dolls by the dozen for sale here are a multitude of dolls in various states of construction, different shapes and sizes, made using similar, but not always identical techniques.
I have some young great-nieces who are showing an interest in sewing, quilting and maybe doll making, and plan to have them come and stay sometimes so I can teach them a few tricks, and I would also like to hand on my collection of original designs. If they find themselves wanting to earn some pocket-money in the future they can make dolls from my designs, and if they want to be more creative they can modify my designs to create their own characters … without crossing any copyright lines doing so.
During 2011 I spent more time in the car than in my sewing room, but the time in the sewing room was spent pulling stuff out of boxes, saving some fabric for scrap quilts, sorting out patterns and body parts, and started putting some scrap books together.
It wasn’t a good idea to start on a large undertaking and the start of what turned out to be a very disjointed year. It will take a long time to sort out the mess I made trying to clear out the mess!
I should have gone through all the boxes, all the folders and all the sample boxes and sorted them into boxes so that all the information I had about each doll was all in one place before I started gluing bits onto paper.
The patterns are my working patterns … they have never been published, sometimes I have the original sketch with a few very sketchy notes on techniques and finishing touches which I thought I might try. Sometimes there are just paper patterns cut from newspaper, templates made from cereal packets. Where possible I have saved body parts that have been cut out, along with clothes ready to make up, or partly made up.
I am going to have to do a separate book with samples and instructions just for the assorted hairstyles which I used
I have un-stuffed completed samples I have had in storage so they aren’t quite so fat when added to the scrap books, though in one case I have kept a doll complete with stuffing and will store her inside the book covers … somehow … but that project will come much later.
After undoing a lot of what I had achieved, I have printed an index page and the first set of loose leaf pages are almost ready to be sewn together to make the first volume of Rag Doll Records, and have created a slide show of the pages.