Made in Fiji

9th October 2010 – 19th October

Started cutting assorted jeans and an ankle length skirt. The skirt is a real bonus! Will be able to colour code the various shades of denim into several quilts.

11th October 2010

The second quilt from the purchases made in Berri, Loxton and Pinnaroo op shops, including the long denim skirt which was made in Fiji … the label was inside the band, but have removed it to be stitched to the front later. All the pieces are laying on the spare bed. This one has a predetermined home to go to because of that label!

12th October 2010

Quilt top together by lunchtime.

17th October 2010

Binding ready to be stitched down by hand. Backing is a chenille bedspread purchased from an op shop a few years ago. Price was about $5 …. looked brand new!

19th October 2010

Binding completed, and first photos taken.

The centre row of buttons came from the long denim skirt, and the label will be attached to the back. The details of the quilt will go on the front with a permanent marker, along with signatures of well wishers when the quilt is handed over to the new owner.

I have already started stuffing stuff into the pockets. Items will include a packet of chewing gum, chocolate, odd coins, a pocket packet of tissues…. and a scrunched up loose tissue …. all the things you might find in the pockets of jeans when you are about to put them in the washing machine.

Completed on the eve of  Count your Buttons Day!

The quilt was handed over on Christmas Day and Sala was instructed to empty her pockets of earrings, pens and pencils, pencil sharpener and eraser, note pad, head band, purse and scarf  ….. the sort of things you might empty out of the pockets of any teenage girl.

Swinging Blue Jeans

18th September – 18th October 2010

After cutting and piecing together the Blue Jeans quilt top I had to get out the denim scrap box. Scraps left over from Blue Jeans for the Limousine which I made for Megan when she got her first car (The car was far from a limousine!) had been joined by some op shop jeans when I was making bags from jeans many moons ago.

Before I cut the border for Blue Jeans I sorted out enough bigger pieces to make two more quilt tops not quite as big as Blue Jeans.

21st September

Quilt top is together, and it looks like this.

There are a lot of what looks like grass stains …. they don’t show up near as much in real life ….. but maybe some bits of school boy jeans.

(I knew one who spent a lot of time creating grass stains on clothing!)

14th  October 2010

Layered the top with the backing …. part of the doona cover which was used for the back of the Washed Denim Quilt and cut the strips for a raggy edge.

15th October 2010

Stitched the strips around the edge for the raggy finish, and put it in th almost finished pile ….. I chased the vacuum cleaner around yesterday to remove all the little bits of thread which have come off the raggy bits of the quilts, and it is too cold today to go outside and snip the edges.

19th October

Clipped the edges and it is now washed and raggy round the edges.

Some of the grass stains have come out in the wash!

Finished size 44 x 60 inches

No wadding, denim top, poly-cotton backing.

More Things I Have Learned about Making Denim Quilts

Joy said in a comment:
October 13, 2010 at 9:05 pm e

Another hint..discovered accidently!

Stitching over those thick intersection seams is even easier with the walking foot on.


And another one learned accidentally …. and I have to admit to learning this one!

The amount of fluff in the washing machine after washing one of these quilts for 15 minutes is enough to block the pump! Butch said he had never seen so much lint in the lint catcher, let alone the pump! Ooops! From now on a quick rub in the wash tub followed by a quick spin, then into the dryer …. it is easier to remove the lint from that!

String of Beads


I first saw this block design soon after I started quilting,

but have never seen it made up,

probably because it would have been very tedious to do as a hand appliqué.

It was described as ‘modern’ in 1920s—1930s.

In June 2004 I pieced together 16 background blocks using creamy fabrics from the stash.

The beads were added at the Hi-fibre Retreat, August 2004,

then I tackled the machine buttonhole stitch around the beads on 11-12 Sept,

machine quilted 13-14 September,

and started hand quilting around the beads the next day.


The binding was completed on September 27th

and the quilt was shown in the

Golden Harvest Quilters

‘All Things Bright and Beautiful’


over the first weekend of October 2004

58 inches square

Machine pieced, appliquéd, machine and hand quilted.

Pattern published by Judy Butcher, 2005.

Released as printable PDF in 2010, the first pattern made available through the

Virtual Quilter’s Pattern Place